Monday, November 8, 2010

Heros in Faith for the week, hero for today


This week I am focusing on people who have been for me been heroes of Faith. These are those whose faith I aspire to possess and emulate. Ones whom I have encountered in my life who have been beacons of light. Today I choose four three known to me and another a universal symbol of Faith. Although I expected this to be a single entry in order to give due consideration, I am think I will try splitting my entries up.

Let me begin first with someone whom I have recently come to know yet still do not know well who embodies steadfast faith in the most difficult of circumstances. In August, I wrote about the loss of a young man, Scott Crosby, a cheer teammate of my girls who took his own life at the age of 17. My girls and I attended his visitation and memorial service and for the first time met his mother, Tammy. Although we did not know her, we were struck by how strong she appeared to be in the face of such an unfathomable tragedy. It was her who gave comfort to many who waited for up to an hour in the August heat outside a small church in Jones County Georgia to pay tribute to a young man whose loss had shocked many. I watched her greet each visitor with strength and dignity that was almost beyond comprehension. For those of us from the cheer gym, we wondered how she was able to stand through all this sadness so strong. I did not expect to see her again however with the advent of social networking sites and particularly because my daughter Katie had been so profoundly affected by the loss of her teammate I came to understand that it was through a deep faith that she, known to many as "Miss Tammy," was able to go on. So much about this lady is amazing. Having lost her son to the most difficult circumstances imaginable, she does not seek to lay blame but appears to give love and comfort to her family, Scott's friends and even to Scott's girlfriend who many others seek to blame for his death. Recently, I was able to meet her again and participate in a local walk designed to raise money for suicide awareness and prevention. I went with Katie and Lachelle, Scott's former girlfriend. Again, I was astounded by her concern and love toward this young lady telling her to hold her head high and seemingly never looking to place blame even though many of his friends want to blame her for why he took his life. Yesterday, again I had a chance to meet with and speak with Miss Tammy. She had come to the cheer gym to collect money from Katie for T shirts honoring Scott that are being sold to raise money for a suicide prevention fund and for a Memorial Cheer fund set up to help young men and women who love the sport of cheer as Scott did to be able to participate regardless of financial limitations. It is another reminder of what makes her so amazing. She moves forward each day thankful for the blessing of her son's life. She draws her strength from God giving comfort to others even though she is hurting. I am thankful for having the opportunity to witness this true example of faith in action and I pray that she many continue to be strong and be consoled in the difficult days ahead.

It is my intent to share other models of faith in the days ahead. Still to come some of the admininstration and faculty from my children's Catholic Elementary and Middle School and Mother Teresa.

No comments:

Post a Comment