Sunday, January 3, 2010

Unity

Today at mass, the feast of the Ephipany was celebrated. Traditionally this feast day is celebrated on January 6th and in some places in the world it is the main celebration associated with the birth of Christ. This star symbolizes that Jesus came for the whole world, both Jews and Gentiles. It is a celebration of unity as it invites us to a single purpose irrespective of other divisions.

Unity seems so difficult to maintain in so many aspects of life be it between nations, faith traditions, families, communities or within other organizations. Yet we are called to unity especially as to faith. We are told in Ephesians 4: 1-6 by St Paul,

"I, then, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received,
with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another through love,
striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace:
one body and one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."

God manifested himself to all symbolized by the single and brilliant star. How can we build unity in our lives? By focusing on that which unites us and avoiding the temptation toward focusing on that which divides us. Could there be so much more peace throughout all aspects of our lives if we could focus our attention on this rather than resorting to criticizing and promoting division.

Lord, help me to remember that you have called me to unity in much of what I do in this life in my marriage, family, friendships, church and in relationships with others. Help me to look for that which promotes unity in accordance with your will.

But what of those situations where I feel that it is in accordance with the will of God to stand for what I believe even when what I must stand for will cause dissension? How can I value unity while fulfilling a duty to stand up for what is right and just? Lord, I find myself in the midst of this struggle at this very time. Let your light, brilliant as the star you sent, guide my footsteps....





No comments:

Post a Comment