Saturday, January 9, 2010

Thinking and Doing


The last couple of weeks have brought me to a point of examining many things. How I think? What I believe? Who I trust? Where do I seek counsel? Through sorting this all out I have come to feel more grounded in faith and more resolved in what I believe to be right and wrong. Now comes the hard part turning this into action and in doing so loving and caring for those closest to me and according to God's will.

Last week I disappointed my husband by not taking care of a few things that he wanted me to do. I was feeling better about where I am in life by getting in touch with God and resolving to accept where I am at this point in my life yet I had let him down by what I had not done.

In daily bible reading I read, “Humbly regard others a more important than yourselves, each looking out not for his own interests, but everyone for those of others” (Philippians 2:3-4). Ok so this means time to focus on others and their needs. This is one of those verses that discourages selfishness. But of course there are limits to giving and doing? Finding that balance may be this week's challenge.

Brother Lawrence was a Carmelite monk who lived in France in the 17th Century. He wrote The Practice of the Presence of God. His writings are popular among both Catholics and Protestants. His recipe for spirituality is very simplistic and advises that we each can do our common business for the love of him. Brother Lawrence worked as a humble cook yet he was able to in the course of his daily and mundane chores to see that this too could be offered for the service of God. He says regarding work,

"Nor is it needful that we should have great things to do. . . We can do little things for God; I turn the cake that is frying on the pan for love of him, and that done, if there is nothing else to call me, I prostrate myself in worship before him, who has given me grace to work; afterwards I rise happier than a king. It is enough for me to pick up but a straw from the ground for the love of God."

So my mantra for the week do and try to be mindful of how each thing is or is not according to this purpose. Seek to do more in accordance with this. And when I fail, as I will keep in mind these words also by Brother Lawrence, which admonishes me to "...readily acknowledge it, saying, I am used to doing so: I shall never do otherwise if I am left to myself. If I fail not, then I give God thanks, acknowledging that it comes from Him." to myself'. If I fail not, then I give God thanks, acknowledging that the strength comes from Him.". to myself'. If I fail not, then I give God thanks, acknowledging that the strength comes from Him.".
"when I fail in my duty, I readily acknowledge it, saying, I am used to do so; I shall never do otherwise if left to myself."e

No comments:

Post a Comment