Monday, July 19, 2010

Teach me to Serve and Walk Humbly with Thee



Over the last few months, the distractions of day to day life have gotten the better of me. I have abandoned daily reflection and drifted aimlessly. A vacation is a great time to refocus, re-energize. I have returned from what I always believed and was not disappointed was the trip of a lifetime, travel to Europe. During our time there we visited a number of beautiful churches and while in Munich, Germany we saw many beautiful buildings where the traditional architechture reflects a time years ago when God and church was the center of life for society. One of the sights I most longed to see was the Frauenkirche otherwise known as the Church of our Lady in Munich. It is the center of the city and its twin towers still mark the skyline as the tallest building in the city. Those towers survived the Allied bombings during World War II yet today even as this building is visited by many tourists, there are few faithful that make this church their parish home. Wanting to know everything about this beautiful building I purchased a pamphlet about its history for a few euros and read with sadness that as of 2008 this beautiful church in this beautiful large city only has 480 members....

During vacation wherever I am, I also like to spend time reading. I brought quite a few books with me for this trip especially for the long flight and the numerous train trips throughout Europe. One book that I have had for some time yet often drift to sleep before finishing more that just a few pages is, "Come be My Light." This book was compiled following the death of Mother Theresa of Calcutta and contains many her private writings providing insight into the life of this humble devoted modern day saint. I have long admired her words and her devotion and have read many other books containing her words and thoughts. Once again, I am inspired by what I read. Her openness to do the will of God led her to pursue serving the poor in Calcutta. I also marvel at her humility how despite that she is one of the most admired people in the world that she felt so unworthy and sinful. To imagine the work that she undertook despite the hardship is a true example of a very selfless person. True many of us cannot hope to ever compare to what she was and did and yet there are lessons and inspiration for each of us.

In reading this week the bible verses that I read challenges us to work to bear fruit for God. This week I have tried though very imperfectly to try harder to think about what his will would be for my actions. I have tried to put aside my frustrations especially with my children and even though I am exhausted at times from saying the same thing again and again I try to picture what and how Jesus would say and speak to them if he and not me were standing there and talking to them. I too intend to commit to more humility realizing how imperfect I truly am and to put aside my own selfishness. Hoping to bring these reflections and thoughts into the weekend and beyond.



1 comment:

  1. I tell ya - nothing like the churches of Europe to make you awed and contemplate. I think how awed we are by them and wonder what some poor peasant would have thought. Such opulence and beauty. Must have really been overwhelming to someone used to such a simpler world.

    ReplyDelete